Final Thursday (January 6), MBW revealed a jaw-dropping statistic concerning the US music market in 2021: 82.1% of music consumption within the second half of the 12 months, we calculated, was of ‘catalog’ music, versus ‘present’ music.
This calculation was stable. We based mostly it on numbers revealed inside US market monitor MRC Information‘s full 12 months 2021 report – which arrived final week – along with numbers revealed in MRC Information’s midyear 2021 report, which was revealed final summer season.
MBW’s math in our evaluation was detailed, however the fundamentals are hardly rocket science:
- MRC Information’s H1 2021 report, revealed final 12 months, confirmed that catalog claimed 66.4% of US music consumption within the first six months of 2021;
- MRC’s newest report, for the total 12 months of 2021, confirmed catalog claimed a 74.5% share throughout the 12 months of 2021;
- Subsequently, catalog naturally should have claimed a considerably greater proportion than 74.5% throughout the final six months of final 12 months (H2 2021).
We crunched the numbers in query for H2 2021 and, lo, 82.1% popped out the opposite finish.
Now, although, we now have an issue: As we speak (January 11) MRC Information has issued a correction to its annual 2021 report, considerably altering its numbers relating to each ‘catalog’ and ‘present’ music consumption in 2021.
The headline: As a substitute of ‘catalog’ music claiming a 74.5% yearly share of US consumption (as initially said), MRC Information’s newly-corrected report exhibits that ‘catalog’ really claimed a 69.8% share of the US music market in 2021.
Stating the apparent, this alteration is important.
MBW is clearly eager to by no means mislead our readers, and so beneath we’ve re-calculated our personal evaluation of the US market in 2021 utilizing MRC Information’s revised/corrected new numbers.
[You can download the full, newly-revised MRC Data FY 2021 report – with its corrected set of catalog vs. current numbers – through here.]
On the finish of this text, you may see MBW’s new charts and calculations based mostly on MRC Information’s corrected 2021 report. Earlier than then, right here’s the upshot:
- MBW now calculates that ‘catalog’ music really claimed a 73.1% share (vs. ‘present’ music) of US consumption within the second half of 2021, versus our earlier calculation of 82.1%;
- That 73.1% share, clearly, noticed ‘catalog’ music declare practically three-quarters of the market; ‘present’ music claimed simply over 1 / 4. Statistically, it is a vital acceleration of the share of the market that ‘catalog’ music claimed each in H1 2021 (66.4%), and in the entire of 2020 (65.1%);
- ‘Present’ music is getting much less fashionable in actual phrases: Throughout the 12 months of 2021, based on MRC’s new numbers, some 269.5 million ‘Complete Album Consumption’ (TAC) models of present music have been registered within the US. This was down 3.7% on the 279.9 million determine MRC Information recorded in FY 2020;
- MBW’s calculations counsel that the second half of 2021, ‘present’ music was consumed much less by way of TAC (123.4 million) than it was within the first half of the 12 months (146.1 million).
And now, earlier than MBW’s promised colourful charts, our customary explainer about MRC Information’s ‘Complete Album Consumption’ (TAC) unit of measurement, and the way it displays each bodily and digital report gross sales, plus streaming consumption, in america:
- MRC’s ‘whole album consumption’ (TAC) metric bundles collectively bodily and digital album gross sales with single-track downloads and (on-demand) streams, with these single-track downloads and streams transformed into ‘album equal’ models. To attain this, MRC converts each 1,250 premium streams or 3,750 ad-supported streams of tracks on an album right into a single ‘sale’ for that LP. It does the identical for each 10 downloads of tracks from a single album. This formulation is designed to be ‘income reflective’ – for instance, with 1,250 premium streams roughly producing the identical amount of cash as a single album.
And right here’s our further explainer on MRC’s definition of ‘catalog’ versus ‘present’ music:
- ‘Catalog’ music in MRC’s eyes counts as something launched over 18 months earlier than a client made a purchase order and/or pressed play. ‘Present’ music is within the inverse: any music launched throughout the prior 18 months of the second a client made a purchase order and/or pressed play.
Thanks in your endurance. On with the charts!
Please word: MBW’s calculations, the place credited, are simply that – our personal conclusions based mostly on MRC Information’s publicly revealed statistics. We make no declare that MRC Information has endorsed our conclusions.Music Enterprise Worldwide